This program, jointly conducted by Curtin University (Australia), and SEAMEO RETRAC (Vietnam), in accordance with the Permission No. 3539/QĐ-BGDĐT, issued on July 13, 2006 by the Vietnam’s Ministry of Education and Training, is designed for professionals in the field of language teaching. The program concentrates on teaching English as an additional Language (EAL) and also considers issues connected with EAL teaching in Vietnam and the region. The course is designed for teachers intending to work in Vietnam, other countries in Asia and all over the world.
A graduate of this course can:
- understand the theoretical principles and research practices underlying contemporary language education and Applied Linguistics and apply them in a sustainable manner;
- formulate and investigate problems, propose solutions to current practices, and reflect critically on the relevant empirical and theoretical literature;
- identify, access, analyse and synthesise information from a wide range of sources using appropriate technologies;
- communicate information and ideas effectively in speech and writing in ways that are appropriate for a range of audiences;
- engage effectively with appropriate technologies to store and communicate relevant information in conjunction with contemporary language education and Applied Linguistics practices;
- demonstrate capacity for independent self-directed learning; critically evaluate personal performance through a range of learning interactions; respond to feedback with a view to development as a reflective practitioner and lifelong learner;
- consider language education, Applied Linguistics and professional issues from a variety of perspectives and value-systems with a view to informing and improving professional practice and applying international standards;
- appreciate the value of individual and cultural differences in language use and learning, and the important implications they have for effective practice and professionalism in the workplace;
- work both independently and as part of a team in a way that demonstrates professionalism, a commitment to social and ethical practices and the capacity for future leadership in the field of language education and Applied Linguistics.
- The Program is delivered in English and comprises of four (4) study periods totaling 200 credits;
- 1.5 years course duration;
- Three (3) study periods offered per year (Trimester 1A, 2A and 3A);
- One (1) face-to-face workshop delivered at the beginning of all units at SEAMEO RETRAC, Vietnam;
- Online tutorial support provided throughout the study period.
ACADEMIC ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- An education/teaching degree assessed as being the equivalent of a full-time four-year Australian degree (normally a Bachelor of Education or a four-year combined/double education degree e.g. BSc/BEd), OR
- A bachelor degree of at least three years full-time equivalent AND either a Graduate Diploma in Education, Master of Teaching or equivalent, Graduate Certificate in TESOL, CELTA (Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults) or equivalent, OR
- A bachelor degree of at least three years full time equivalent AND at least two years’ full-time documented language teaching experience in the last ten years, OR
- An honours or master’s degree
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- IELTS Academic overall score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 on all bands (If graduates are intending to apply for their Master of Arts (Applied Linguistics) to be accredited with the Ministry of Education Vietnam, they will need to possess an IELTS overall band score of 7.0 as per MOET requirements), OR
- Other equivalent qualifications approved in writing by CURTIN.
Note: English Test results are valid for two years from the date of testing.
APPLICATION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Submitted at the time of online submission:
- All Academic qualifications (academic transcripts, grading system descriptions, and award certificates) https://study.curtin.edu.au/applying/#english
- Evidence of English language proficiency (Academic IELTS results, or other recognized by Curtin) https://futurestudents.curtin.edu.au/english-proficiency/english-proficiency-tests/
- Personal identification (eg. passport)
- Evidence to support teaching experience (as applicable; CV AND Letter of Employment)
Note: All documents must be received in accordance with Curtin’s Scanned Documents and Certification Requirements and Guidelines.
TUITION FEE & DEGREE
Student tuition fees will be paid to the program’s bank account (in VND, equivalent to the quoted fees in AUD) prior to the commencement of each Trimester.
Participants who successfully complete the program will be awarded the Curtin University Master of Arts (Applied Linguistics).
Note: Assessments for onshore and offshore Curtin University courses are identical and the award is the same.
- Prof. Rhonda Oliver
- Dr. Toni Dobinson
- Dr. Paul Mercieca
- Dr. Julian Chen
- Dr. Ho Thanh My Phuong
- Dr. Dang Van Hung
- Dr. Do Thi Hoai Thu
- Dr. Nguyen Thi Thuy Trang
- Professor Rhonda Oliver, Head, School of Education, Faculty of Humanities, Curtin University
- Dr. Ho Thanh My Phuong, Director, SEAMEO RETRAC
- Dr. Toni Dobinson, School of Education, Curtin University
- Dr. Nguyen Thi Thuy Trang, SEAMEO RETRAC
For further information, please contact:
Ms. Vo Thi Hong Tram
SEAMEO Regional Training Center in Vietnam
35 Le Thanh Ton street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Phone: (84 28) 38245 618 (ext. 309)
|2019 Recruitment Open – Intake 19|
|Open – Online application for admission
(All supporting documents submitted with online submission)
|Offer letters issued
(up to 5 working days after submission)
|Closed – Online application for admission|
|Due: Acceptance, Enrolment & Tuition Fee for Trimester 2A|
|Start – Trimester 3A, 2020|
|Workshop 1 (2nd week) – TBC|
|Workshop 2 (2nd week) – TBC|
|Workshop 3 (2nd week) – TBC|
|Workshop 4 (2nd week) – TBC|
Students will complete and pass the 200 credit points by completing approved Curtin units through a blended learning format of online and onsite delivery.
The 200 Curtin credit points (The Course) consist of the following units:
MC-APLING – Master of Arts (Applied Linguistics)
|Unit Code||Unit Name||Credits|
|LING6001||Language in Society||25|
|EDUC6041||Research Methods in Applied Linguistics||25|
|EDUC6025||Language Teaching Methodologies||25|
|EDUC6040||Special Topics in Applied Linguistics||25|
|EDUC6027||Language Teaching Course Design and Assessment||25|
|EDUC6015||Negotiated Research Project||50|
- All Units in the Curtin Master of Arts (Applied Linguistics) will be delivered in English.
- The Program of study comprises of four (4) Study Periods totaling 200 credits. Three Study Periods will be offered per calendar year (Trimester 1A, 2A and 3A).