The major objectives of the training course are to help the learners:
- Acquire essential knowledge and skills in assessing language learners and designing tests to evaluate the learning and teaching process;
- Develop professional knowledge and skills to conduct action research for the improvement of the quality of English language teaching at schools.
The course consists of two modules: Language Testing and Assessment and Action Research. Each module includes 60 hours of in-class sessions and 40 – 80 hours of self-study with the specific topic areas as below:
Module 1: Language Testing and Assessment:
- Overview of language testing and assessment
- Types of language assessment and test design
- Techniques and criteria for assessing VSTEP speaking and writing
Module 2: Action Research
- Overview analysis of Action research
- Connections between the Action research and professional development
- Procedure of doing action research
The course is combined with classroom presentation, in-class practices and conducting mini-projects as below:
- For the classroom presentation, SEAMEO RETRAC instructors will succinctly provide learners with basic knowledge and essential skills
- For the in-class practices, learners will participate in discussions, and they will be instructed to conduct mini-projects and complete the assignments.